The dream of owning a pinball machine can be a costly one. That’s where the PinBox 3000 comes in. The PinBox 3000 is a concept that doesn’t sound like it should work, yet the first tabletop pinball system made from 40% recycled cardboard absolutely does. The other 60% is still cardboard; it’s just not recycled. PinBox 3000 is a DIY system made from die-cut parts and customisable play boards designed by you the gamer.

cvpytypwcaa5-16

It’s said to take about 45-90 minutes to prepare. Everything you need is included in the box: twelve sheets of punch-out parts, box rivets, rubber bands, and three marbles. Pop out the pre-cut pieces and follow along with the instruction guide. The beauty of the PinBox 3000 is it’s a blank slate designed for you to create whatever you can imagine. Add ramps, spinners, black holes, castles, etc. There are free online templates, downloadable content and how-to videos for unlimited customisation options.

The PinBox 3000 is a creation of the ‘Cardboard Teck Instantute’ who believe smart technology led to a decline of interaction with the material world, they may be right. They hope the PinBox will inspire exploration of materials and are even pushing to have it in schools via Steam educational environments in early 2017.

PinBox 3000 goes on sale later today although you can pre-order right now at a discounted price. There’s also an impressive Battlemode version which features two PinBoxes back-to-back will a tunnel in the centre for the ball to pass between players. Check it out here.

Michael Vane is a freelance journalist and co-editor of PN2. He’s on Twitter @DrVane

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s