Fans of physical media rejoice! A collaboration of journalists and indie developers has put together a premium format magazine aiming to celebrate gaming as an art form and emerging culture.
A Profound Waste of Time is a bold new independent magazine showcasing a carefully selected roster of developers, journalists, academics and artists aiming to redefine what a physical video game magazine can be, and offer a peerlessly presented collection of progressive writing and artwork. Unlike traditional gaming magazines, this one’s not concerned with the latest news or reviews, “A Profound Waste of Time will dissect the virtual worlds that inspire, unite and challenge us.”
The first issue includes an immense range of talent including work by the developers of Shovel Knight, Downwell, Hotline Miami, Earthbound, Undertale and more. Everyone’s favourite post-hole digger Shovel Knight graces the cover.
A Profound Waste of Time is campaigning via Kickstarter right now. A £20 pledge will secure your copy if successful, with an ETA of May 2017. You can find the campaign here.
Here’s is the complete list of contributors:
- Yacht Club Games – Shovel Knight
- Jonathan Holmes – Destructoid, Nintendo Force, Sup Holmes
- Ojiro Fumoto – Downwell
- Dennis Wedin – Hotline Miami, Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number
- Adrian Bauer – Owlboy, Savant Ascent, D-Pad Studios
- Tommy Refenes – Super Meat Boy, Team Meat
- Marcus Lindblom – Earthbound, Carried Away Games
- John ‘JJ’ James – 2064:Read Only Memories, Midboss
- Laura Kate Dale – Let’s Play Videogames, The Guardian
- Temmie Chang – Undertale, Studio Yotta
- Mohammed Taher – Brave Wave Productions
- Adam Heart – Killer Instinct, Iron Galaxy
- Rami Ismail – Nuclear Throne, Ridiculous Fishing, Vlambeer
- Darren Wall – The Bitmap Brothers: Universe
- Hannah Nicklin – RPS, Twisted Tree Games
Michael Vane is a freelance journalist and co-editor of PN2. He’s on Twitter @DrVane